Chatroulette is touted to be one of the biggest online chat rooms in the world. It was launched in the year 2009 and allows users to connect with strangers from all over the world. You can chat in real-time with strangers from all over the world and can be done in real-time via audio, messaging and webcam.
What happened with Chatroulette?
Chatroulette was in the headlines for all the wrong reasons within months of launch. According to a study, it showed that one in eight roulette spins can reveal a naked person and around 89 percent of users were male.
In cases where the parental controls are not as robust and there are plenty of ways to sneak in, such figures can immediately set the alarm bells ringing. The website has drawn criticism related to the content portrayed by some of the users. Users have taken the advantage of being anonymous in order to view and show inappropriate content.
In case you’re one of the victims of such inappropriate behaviour and are looking for chatroulette alternatives then this article is for you. In this article, we will be looking at the list of 10 best free Chatroulette alternatives. So let’s see how you can now chat online with strangers, make friends and even romance.
The best of Chatroulette alternatives
In case you have used Chatroulette before, you know the site can get pretty addictive. But since only a few people use it today, here are a few Chatroulette alternatives that will get you started for a similar experience.
1. Omegle – Chat easily & Conveniently with the chatroulette alternative
It can be considered as one of the best known Chatroulette alternatives, In order to try and find an interesting stranger to talk to, you can enter some options which interest you in order to start a conversation. The app also offers a text-only mode which is branded as Spy Mode.
In case the people don’t want to reveal themselves in public but are still looking to chat, they can route for this app.
Unlike Chatroulette, Omegle also features an adult section which is unmoderated. This feature can be concerning for some, but it does at least works for people who look to engage it such stuff and has kept it out of the main video chat section. You can also share your own opinions in the comment section given in the app.
2. LivU – One of the best chatroulette alternatives
Another notable app on the list for voice and video chat with strangers online is called LivU. According to the website, the company has managed to bring together around 20 billion users for a one-on-one chat.
The features of LivU include the following:
- Video filters: Try out an array of video filters and stickers to make the chat more interesting.
- Online video chat: Match from people from all over the world.
- Free video call: Have a free video call with your friends and you can have text or video calls anytime and anywhere.
- Chat history: Keep your text and video chat history secured in order to protect privacy.
- Quick login: Supports quick login using Facebook or phone number. Save time for registration troubles and save time on video chat.
There are some features offered on the smartphone, which aren’t available on the web app. They include real-time video filters in order to add some fun and a beauty effect which recognizes your features and then enhances it for the viewer. The app also offers an instant messaging service supported by chat history and a unified login across all the platforms.
3. FaceCast – play on with one of the best Chatroulette alternatives
Next on the list is FaceCast and it is a bit different when compared with other Chatroulette alternatives. The service is only available via smartphone and there isn’t’ a web app which can be used. It is also available on both iOS and Android. The app will pair you with strangers in order to have a conversation.
In case you get along well, you can start following them. Once you start following you can dive into the video chat at any point. This feature makes it easier to use the app as well as build a meaningful friendship.
The features of Facecast include the following:
- Live Streaming: It is available for everyone, you can just go live in the broadcasting room without any follower number limits. Broadcast 24*7 online, share about your life and show your talents.
- 1 on 1 video chat: Meet cool people online and make new friends to expand the social circle.
- Instant messaging: Follow people you are interested in with a single click. Send a greeting and get to know each other.
- Creative short videos: Make 15 seconds short videos to people who focus on you. It provides an easy to use editing tool with free special effects, stickers and popular music.
Some of the other features include GPS to find nearby strangers to talk to, ways to collate your best moments and display them on profile and have an unlimited number of video streams. Other basic video editing tools are also available which include special effects, filters, stickers and more.
4. Camsurf – Easy to use
Camsurf can be considered similar to LivU and offers both the smartphone and web app. The tool lets you dive in and start chatting away. You don’t need to make an account or enter any details. Considering the ease of usage, it can be a good thing.
Features of Camsurf include the following:
- Free random chat messenger: Enjoy all features with the web-based platform.
- Connected worldwide chat: Connect with thousands of users online, you can connect with people from all over the world and instantly match with strangers based on your preference.
In case you use the Camsurf smartphone app, you can easily filter connections using location and language. Other than that, smartphone and web versions are identical.
5. Chatspin – Meet & Chat with new people
The app is a web-only way in order to video chat with strangers. Like Omegle, Chatspin also has a text chat facility which is available to anyone who does not want to turn on the camera or mic.
The security features are minimal and you’ll only need to enter the gender in order to find another person to talk to. There is no requirement of account creation.
6. MeowChat – A new way to meet with friends
MeowChat similar to FaceCast is available only via Android or iOS smartphone app. The app supports both the followers and fans feature. You can see the most entertaining people to talk to in the local area as endorsed by the other users.
7. Chatrandom – offers group chat features
Another alternative to Chatroulette is Chatrandom. The website is known for its fast cam to cam connection. One of the best features of Chatrandom is that it features a group chat. You can connect with a group of people simultaneously.
Chatrandom has a dedicated section for gay people which is known as Chatrandom Gay. In order to use the service, you can access Chatrandom directly via the website or install the mobile app on the phone to chat on-the-go.
8. Tinychat – meet new friends with this amazing chatroulette alternatives
Tinychat was launched in the same year as Chatroulette and offers an array of additional features apart from messaging. You can use the app to create your own public or private group chat where you can invite your friends.
The platform also offers video streaming as well as dedicated video and audio channels. You can also have topic-based chat rooms to help people converse with people having similar interests as you. The mobile version of Tinychat is also available on iOS and Android with the exclusive feature of HD streaming.
9. ShowMe – a popular video chat app
ShowME offers the same features available in chat sites such as video chat and instant messaging. One of its key features includes the option to filter the people you like to talk to by gender.
It may not be as popular as the rest present on the list but it can be considered as competitive in terms of features of the app.
10. Holla – have a free 1 on 1 live chat
It can be considered one of the few random chatting sites which is hard on implementing its removal and banning the illegal content. It is an effort which most sites usually don’t do.
A key feature of the site is the option to filter strangers by language and location. With these features, it makes it easier to find people that you can connect with. You can access the platform using the website or via a mobile app available on Google Play store.
You need to exercise caution while chatting with strangers and if managed correctly it can be a fun way to get to know people. Make sure that there is no personal information which is visible in the background of the video. Prevent the display on any valuable items and make sure you follow the rules of the app you are using.
Using the Chatroulette alternatives, you can connect with random strangers online, make friends and even romance online. With everything online, remember to exercise caution and make sure to protect your privacy. Using the online chat apps, make the best use of your experience online with all the above amazing chat websites.